Skip to main content
  • Home
  • Reciprocity of Academic Credit

Reciprocity of Academic Credit

To determine whether students transferring into the district have met district course requirements, the Superintendent or designee shall establish procedures to evaluate the comparability of courses and/or students’ understanding of course content. Such procedures shall include methods for determining the number of years of school attendance, the specific courses completed by the student and the value of credits earned.

The district shall accept for credit full or partial coursework satisfactorily completed by students while attending a public school, a juvenile court school or nonpublic nonsectarian school or agency. (Education Code 48645.5) Pending evaluation of the transferring student’s academic performance, the student shall be placed at the grade level reached prior to enrollment in the district. Within 30 days of enrollment, the principal or designee shall complete the evaluation and determine the student’s appropriate grade placement.


An "accredited" school is one that has received accreditation by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) or other statewide or regional commissions or, in the case of a school outside California, by the equivalent governmental or other regional accrediting
agency in that jurisdiction.


Transfers from Accredited Schools
Students transferring into the district from an accredited school shall receive full academic credit for previously completed courses when the sending district verifies that the student has satisfactorily completed those courses.


Transfers from Non-Accredited Schools
When a student transfers from any non-accredited private, public, alternative, home or charter school, academic credit shall be subject to approval by the principal or designee at the enrolling school. Credits transferred from these schools shall be fully accepted when there is evidence that the course work completed is equivalent to similar courses offered in this district. The principal or designee at the enrolling school shall be responsible for determining which of the student's credits are equivalent to district requirements. Guidelines for determining
equivalency shall be developed by representative certificated staff familiar with the district's academic standards and graduation requirements.