AHS ATTENDANCE OFFICE
AHS Attendance Policy
As established by California Education Code 46010:
only the following reasons may excuse a student for not being in class:
1. Illness: a doctor’s note may be required for extended illness.
2. Quarantine: directed by a doctor.
3. Medical, dental, optometry or chiropractic appointment for treatment: elective treatment should be scheduled for outside of normal hours.
4. Attending the funeral service of an immediate family member: funeral service absence will not be more than three days unless the service is conducted outside of California.
5. Jury Duty.
6. Absence to obtain required immunizations: if the absence is not more than five days.
7. Court appearances: either as a defendant or as a subpoenaed witness.
8. Observation of a holiday or ceremony of the student’s religion: with pre-approved written permission from the attendance office.
An absence can only be excused within 72 hours by a parent/guardian.
Whenever a student is absent with parental consent for all or part of a school day, we ask that the parent/guardian "clear" the absence in person, by telephone, or in writing.
We ask that Notes be in ink and include:
- the student’s name and ID number,
- grade level
- date(s) of absence
- reason for absence
- signature of parent or legal guardian with date note was written.
Aptos High School is a CLOSED CAMPUS.
Leaving campus at lunchtime, or any time during the school day is not permitted.
Students must have approval by note or phone call from a parent/guardian and a pass from the attendance office prior to leaving campus. Students that leave campus without a pass will receive an unexcused absence for the time that they are gone and the absence can not be cleared.
We ask that parents/gardians do your best to support academic success by trying to schedule all routine medical and dental appointments outside of school hours. Students who need to leave campus early for an appointment or other reason must check out with the attendance office (Teresa Hernandez 688-6565, ex.202). If they do not they will receive an unexcused absence for the time that they are gone.
After checking out, a student must leave campus immediately.
If a student becomes ill once he/she has arrived on campus and cannot get to class, that student must check out at the Nurse’s Office.
If they do not they will receive an unexcused absence for the time that they are gone.
Homework may be requested by students and/or parents on the 2nd day of an extended absence or illness. Requests should be directed towards each teacher via email and/or a phone message. Students have two days for every one day of excused absence to complete their homework.
Absences extending beyond three days may require a doctor’s note. Students who establish a pattern of unexcused absences may be referred to a Student Study Team for assistance in improving their attendance.
Students identified as a “habitually truant” (after 5 or more unexcused absences or tardies) may be referred to the School Attendance Review Board (SARB) for truancy mediation. The appropriate assistant principal will counsel the student, notify parents and administer disciplinary action as necessary.
Any concerns regarding student attendance may be resolved by one or more of the following methods:
- Contact the attendance office (Teresa Hernandez 688-6565. ex.202)
- Contact the student’s counselor.
- Contact your student’s assistant principal.
It is possible for students to make up all or some of the accumulated absences by attending Saturday School in increments of four hours. Students who have not cleared their missing hours through Saturday School run the risk of being placed on the "exclusion list" and will be prohibited from participation in school-sponsored activities.